Preetika Rao | Preeta Rao interview | Preeta Rao and Amrita Rao

Preetika Rao | Preeta Rao interview

The romantic entertainer Chikku Bukku, produced by Media One Global Entertainment and directed by late Jeeva's former assistant Manikandan, is releasing on December 3 worldwide.

When all the attention is on Arya and Shriya, there is one pretty face who is making her debut in an equally important role - as Arya's love interest in the film. She is Preetika, younger sister of Amritha Rao. . In this exclusive interview to sify.com, Preethika opens up.

Why did you decide to get launched in Tamil cinema?

Well, it's not one of those clinched stories of a model turning actress... wanting to experiment in the South before venturing into Bollywood. That's definitely not my case!

And I would like to believe that it's the Tamil industry that chose me for a debut! I was just fortunate to find myself in such a prestigious project launched by Media One Global Entertainment with a talented youth icon like Arya.

How did you agree to do a film in which Shriya shares screen space with you?

Actually, when I was approached for Chikku Bukku, Shriya Saran had not been signed on. Director Manikandan was looking to cast a Bollywood actress in the main lead opposite Aarya, and had initially approached Vidya Balan for my role. Vidya had date problems, so I bagged the movie instead!

It was only at the end of my first schedule in Karaikudi that the director broke the good news that Shriya has agreed to be a part of the project. I was thrilled because Shriya has a huge fan following and her jumping onto the bandwagon only took the project to another league.

But when you will see the movie you will realise that both Shriya and I have very diversely interesting characters to play in an excellent script conceived by debutant director Manikandan.

You seem to have been sidelined in the publicity of the film.

According to me, the publicity of the movie is happening just the way it should be! I can say that because I know the script and the promotional requirements of the film.

The director wants to carry my portion as a surprise element. That is why even Arya's portion in the movie along with me is kept under wraps until the release.

What's your role and how was it working with Arya?

It's a love story and the role I play is of a traditional girl from Karaikudi with typical Indian values. Working with Arya was fun because he has a great sense of humour and he made me laugh all the time, but during shots he was a hardcore professional.

You shot most of your portions in Karaikudi. Tell us about the experience?

I was stunned by Karaikudi - it is such a beautiful Chettinadu heritage village! Just walking down the quaint lanes wearing the traditional pattu pavadai and a plait made me feel like I was living another life!

Also I had great fun with the village kids who played school students in the movie. They were fond of me and would stick with me all day! They just made my shooting experience very special!

Your sister Amritha Rao is a big star in Bollywood. How is she reacting to your Kollywood debut?

Amritha is very happy for me! This year, in most probability, she will also be doing a South movie. It would mark her second movie in Telugu cinema.

Have you picked up the Tamil language?

To an extent I have. I am still learning Tamil. I'm originally a Mangalorean and speak Konkani. My great grandfather retired as a Sales Tax Tribunal from Madras in the 1950s and my grandmother was born and raised in Madras and speaks Tamil.

So I like to believe that somewhere Tamil runs in my genes - making the language easy for me to grasp!

What are your future plans?

Now that I have entered cinema, I would like to work hard and give it my best shot. I would like to entertain my audiences by portraying sensible roles and basically proving myself as a good artist.